Hyello all you crafting addicts! =D
Heres a tutorial i found on how to make a cute versatile bow than can be pinned onto purses, spruce up old looking bags, glued onto plain ballet flats/sandals/flip flops/shoes/whatever, brooched onto a shirt/skirt, clipped into your hair, put on a hat…honestly, it can go on just about anything, as all beautiful bows can ❤
So i originally followed this tutorial: http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/easy-fabric-bows/instructions/1 but found it a little hard to follow, and basically dumped it and did my own stitching thing, that ill be explaining here. ^id still recommend you to go check that out for the pictures atleast though =P or dont, im copy pasting the pictures here. =D
1. Cut out a huge, long rectangle piece. this is gonna be your bow(duh) and itll be about 1/4 or 1/3 of this actual cut out. keep that in mind when you size it. (since it can be literlly any size you want. make it more squarish if you want the wings of the bow to poof a lot more and look more squished n’ cinched.)
2. Fold the piece as indicated below, along its longest side (if that makes sense…)
3. Stitch the two loose ends closed here, here and here (the red crosses).
Just make sure youre only stitching these two ends of the piece together, and not accidentally catching the other flat part of the piece. I find it easiest to stitch the outside two red crosses as they help hold everything together, but if your in a hurry or lacking string, the job can get done with only one red crossy stitch done in the centre =) Once finished, youll have a cylinder shape if done correctly.
4. Now, fold as indicated below, bringing the outside ends together, meeting at the centre line (green).
its gonna then end up looking something like this:
if your bow material is silk or soft or something thats wrinkled, id recommend ironing the bow at this point.
5. The next step is a little confusing as this is where we’ll be cinching up the bow to give it that poofy puffy affect. Cinch it up where the two flaps youve just folded from the previous step meet. Now, i like to take my needle, and make a running stitch, but not pull the needle through. er, sorta like…. im gathering the material only on the needle. this way, if im not happy with the cinching, or think the bows gone wonky, i can pull the needle out and try it again, as many times as i want (i can get quite picky =) ) and then, finally satisfied, i quickly tug on the needle so the cinching stays the same, but the bow is now resting on the bottom of the string (thats obviously knotted at the end, as im sewing with it =P ). Make sure that youre needle is catching ALL the material of the bow, and not just he back half.
6. Now youre bows got its wings and looks all nice and puffy =) good, were almost done, yaaay! =D i like to finish off by immediately after having pushed the bow to the bottom of the string, wrap the string around the middle to secuire it more, and then knot it off. feel free to wrap around as much of the string you have left, even if its a lot. Well be cover that up anyways. This is what youll end up with:
although this is what mine looks like without covering up the stitching, as i think the unfinished look also looks cool:
7. Now, youll need to cut a smaller rectangular piece thatll go around the middle of the bow and cover up your stitching. (You can bead this middle bit, or glue on some glitter to give youre bow a cute little glitter accent. sadly, i didnt have time to do that so i dont have pics of any of those ideas…id highly recommend trying them though! =) Now, um, i got lazy with this last step and didnt even bother stitching the last middle bit on. i just tied it, then trimmed the extra tailes sticking out at the ends. not sure you can see it too well in this picture, but thats what ive done. i then passed a safety pin into the knot to turn it into a brooch.
Hope you enjoyed it! I made a bigger one and but it on a headband =)
What i love about this is that its fun, easy, quick, simple, cute, versatile, and can be used in so many ways! Just have fun with it =D
the cool as hell snowman who brings joy and inspiration to all~