So i finally tried out the paper gem DIY. and, alright, it took double the amount of time i thought it would take to make O.o so after 10 min, i finally finished =) =P
*picture was supposed to go here…*
And as i said, the copying/printing the template, cutting and folding happen in minutes, barely.
The glueing it all together part was incredibly hard, though. thats what took forever/8 minutes.
It was impossibly hard and irritating. heres how i did and recommend you to do it=
1. glue together the mid portion first, all of it. the 1a bit.
2. glue together all of ONE of the top pointy bits, 1b.
3. glue these two pieces, 1a and 1b together completely, and with ease.
4. now, this is where it gets tricky. Without glueing 1c beforehand, use it open, and glue the base of 1c to 1a.
5. now, try to lightly tap, poke, pinch, and push the gem in whichever places to make sure that all parts of the gem are folded in the right places. ive found that a bobby pin/’hair grip’/hair pin can be very helpful here. (A sewing needle could also work, but id only recommend it if you really can handle that thing, arent squimish of blood, are patient, careful with your hands and how much force youre applying. )
6. Finally, glue closed the gem by folding the slant side of the top pyramid, the pointy bit, 1c.
7. you might need to poke around at it a bit more to get the shape right.
8. Let dry completely and make sure not to squish =P
And youre DONE! Congrats =D
If all else fails, theres always tape =P you can easily put tap on the tab inside, and then use a bobby pin to flatten the tape down inside. I actually had to resort to this, as unfortunately, when i left my crystal to dry, one little tab didnt stick with the glue. So i did this little tape trick/cheat. and no one can tell i used tape *wink wink* =D im really hating having the semicolon/colon key broken -.-” grrr…
But, despite all glueing challenges, i totally LOVED the end result, and had fun making it too! it was fun, and great, and CUTE. i made mine green and i recycled some colored paper scraps i had leftover from origami making ^_^
Im a BIG origami addict. Today, i actually combined a bunch of things together to make this= a pink origami box inside a box (a little thing i have dubbed Boxception. duh.), i put this green gem/crystal inside, and closed it all off with a pink heart paper clip =3 =*
More on the box later! I reeeaaaalllyyyy love that origami, so ill post a little walk through on how to make it later =)
Have fun Crafting~